If you love wine as much as we do, you probably have a few empty bottles ready to be thrown out. You could put them in the glass dumpster, as is normal procedure, but why not recycle them into amazing wine decor?
With a Wine Bottle Cutter, you can turn old, empty bottles into art.
If you like DIY, and you like wine, it’s a match made in heaven!
Wine Bottle Cutter Sets aren’t actually that difficult to use. You don’t need to be a do-it-yourself pro to turn bottles into decorative accents. The right set will provide you with easy-to-use tools, and clear instructions, to release your creative spirit…
To help you on your way to turn empty wine bottles into stylish home decor, we’re highlighting our Top 5 choices for the Best Wine Bottle Cutter Sets. We are also sharing some important tips about how to use a wine bottle cutter, plus some of our favorite examples of wine bottles turned decorative.
Get inspired, get creative, and recycle those empty bottles into trendy decor!
What Is A Wine Bottle Cutter?
As its name suggests, a wine bottle cutter is a device that helps you slice bottles into half (or any other desired ratio). Similar to general DIY glass cutters, these wine-themed sets often come with extra accessories and tools catered specifically to bottles- not just any type of glassware.
How To Use A Wine Bottle Cutter?The Wine Bottle Cutter Sets we’ve included in this list all feature a ‘support device’ which helps you cut bottles safely, and easily.
This support device kind of looks like a large cutting board, with a bottle holder attached. You place the bottle on the support device, apply moderate pressure, and start to rotate your bottle. Or, to be more specific: this is the wine bottle cutting process in 4 easy steps:
4 Steps To Cut A (Wine) Bottle
1. Align The Bottle On The Cutting Board
With most devices, you can adjust the rollers of the bottle cutter so that the bottle rests securely. Often devices will let you adjust the settings to accommodate all kinds of bottles, not just regular-sized wine ones.
2. Turning The Bottle
Turn the bottle gently, applying moderate pressure, in one direction to make a full circle. Normally, one rotation is sufficient to cut the bottle. If you go over a previous cut, you might get an uneven, fragmented result – so try to move slowly, and precisely.
3. Separate The Parts
Now that you’ve mounted and cut the bottle, it is time to separate both parts. There are two methods you can use, both work well- so pick one depending on what you feel most comfortable with.
- Method 1: Heat some water and run it over the marking/cut, slowly turning the bottle. When you’ve circled the bottle, immediately move it to the tap and let cold water run over the marking/cut. Repeat this process until the parts easily separate without too much force. How often you need to repeat this step depends on the thickness and glass quality of the bottle.
- Method 2: Apply heat to the marking/cut with a candle flame, whilst turning the bottle. Once you’ve rotated it fully, move the bottle into a bucket (or sink) of icy water. Repeat until the parts separate easily. Once again, how often you need to repeat this step depends on the bottle used.
Once you’ve separated the parts, it’s time to sand down those sharp edges. Most Wine Bottle Cutter Sets will include sandpaper, or an electric sander, to help you on your way. Work your magic on the edges until they are no longer sharp and/or uneven.
Voila: you’re done! Now you can use the container any way you like: from filling it with wax to create a candle to using it – as is – as a decorative storage pot for knick-knacks. The choice is yours!
3 Things You Should NOT Ignore
- Make sure the bottle used is completely empty and the label is removed prior to cutting.
- Wear protective gloves and safety goggles when cutting glass
- Read the instructions of your wine glass cutter carefully before usage. Each brand or design works may require additional steps, or safety precautions, that are not listed in this article.
There are endless DIY options if you let your creativity flow. Below are a few wine bottle DIY ideas that we think would add a creative touch to the beauty of your house.
- Make your own candles in wine bottle containers
- Light features
- Plant pots
- Holders for make-up brushes
- Outdoor torches
One of our favorite DIY ideas for wine glass bottles is turning them into lovely (scented) candles. We have quite a few wine-inspired candles in our homes, and even wrote a feature on the Best Wine Candles, but making them yourself really adds a personal touch to your home decor.
How Do You Make A (Scented) Wine Candle?
- First, create a container by using your wine bottle cutter.
- Slice the bottle in half, sand down the edges, and you’re ready to fill the glass container with the wax of your choice.
- You can choose regular wax, or add fragrance oils to mimic the scents of Pinot Noir, Merlot, or any wine variety you like.
If you want to learn more about this DIY idea, we’d recommend you to check out this post on How To Make Scented Candles. This article which serves as a very informative, step-by-step guide to help you on your way to turning your newly made bottle art into sumptuous candles
We also love the idea of turning your empty wine bottles into planters/plant pots. Great for indoor and outdoor usage, these plant holders add an instant touch of DIY style to any room or garden.
Check out the article DIY: Wine Bottle Succulent Planters by the La Crema Winery in California. It is filled with inspiration on how to add a green touch to your wine decor.
Best Wine Bottle Cutter Sets
The OAIEGSD wine bottle cutter is an affordable option to reckon with when searching for the perfect bottle cutter. It can be used to cut through anything from whiskey bottles to mason jars and is a perfect choice for DIY lovers. Explore glass designing with old wine bottles with this efficient tool.
- The OAIEGSD wine bottle cutter has been inspected and examined to make sure it conforms with the safety recommendations.
- It is a simply designed tool which can be used at home or even in the office.
- It is specially designed for glass bottles and features adjustable wheels, cutting heads, and baffles. These details can be adjusted to accommodate the various sizes of the glass bottles or jar that you wish to recycle.
- It accommodates bottles up 19.5 inches long.
- The packaging is complete with a glass bottle cutter, glass cutter, spare cutting blade, cleaning sponge, pair of safety gloves, glass drill bit, screwdrivers, 2 spare screws, 2 sandpapers, 6 fixed rubber rings, and an instruction manual that should be read before use.
- This is an ideal set to finally help you put those old bottles to work as a DIY beginner or professional. It is durable, safe and solid.
- High quality
Unlike other glass cutters that are merely compatible with round bottles, this device also cuts square and oval-shaped labels. This means that not only can you use it on turning wine bottles into home decor, but also apply it to your favorite liquors, such as vodka, whiskey, champagne, and rum bottles. The possibilities are endless!
We love the multi-functionality of the Genround bottle cutter.
- The device comes equipped with 2 detachable heads, allowing you to switch between cutting bottle bodies and bottlenecks.
- The design also has a reinforced panel that ensures stable support during the cutting process, allowing you to make a smooth, straight cut without bumps or scratches.
- The Genround Wine Bottle Cutter also includes an instruction book and instruction videos, demonstrating how to use it safely and effectively.
- According to the manufacturer, the device is easy to use– even for those with little DIY experience. Rotatable blades and a fixed wheel simplify the cutting process, meaning you’ll only have to follow a few simple steps to turn your empty bottles into art.
We would have liked if the makers had also included protective gear such as goggles or gloves, at now you are required to buy those separately. But, if you already have those at home and simply need a quality, versatile bottle cutter: this may be your perfect, highly-rated match.
- Highly-rated by DIY enthusiasts
- Compatible with round, square, and oval bottles.
- Does not include safety gear
- The design by Creator’s includes all the essentials to unleash your inner creativity on empty bottles (round AND squared).
- Not only do you receive the ready-to-use glass cutter board, but an abrasive stone for smoothing down glass edges, 2 separating rings, and a palm protector are also included.
- The Creator’s Wine Bottle Cutter is one of the most durable, sturdy choices for DIY enthusiasts.
- The device is constructed from quality polycarbonate plastic and features stainless steel slide bars.
- Its enclosed rubber-coated rollers help keep out glass slivers, whilst its carbide cutting wheel makes smooth, precise markings on your bottles.
- The product is made in the USA and adheres to the highest quality standards, making it a premium option in glass cutting tools.
That said, due to its higher price-point, it might not be the best match for beginners to DIY, it’s a solid choice in glass cutting sets. We’d recommend it for those that expect to get a lot of usage out of their device and need a cutter that is built to last – as this product definitely has to longevity to keep up with your handiwork!
- Sturdy polycarbonate and stainless steel frame
- Made in the USA
The Upcycle EZ-Cut Wine Bottle Cutter is a comprehensive set specially designed to ‘increase the success rate of perfect cuts’. The manufacturer wanted to make the cutting process as simple, and effective, as possible – ensuring that all DIY enthusiasts, regardless of their skill-set, are able to create the perfect bottle decor!
- The great-value set includes a bottle cutter, 5 rollers, a back-brace and knob screw for extra stability, sandpaper to smooth down edges, an instruction guide, and an electric heat tool.
- The inclusion of the electric heat tool really makes it stand out from other sets, as most do not come with this feature. The tool allows you to apply heat to the bottle after cutting, making separation of the bottle parts a breeze. Simple move the tool over the marking/cut, then transfer the bottle to cold water and the halves should come apart easily.
- We also like that the Upcycle EZ-Cut Wine Bottle Cutter comes with a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you’re not satisfied with your purchase or have issues with the device, contact the manufacturer within 90 days of purchase and request a refund. This guarantee allows you to try the product risk-free! It is also a testimony of the confidence the makers have in the quality of their product. Making it a reliable choice in glass cutting tools.
Though rated highly, some users reported it’s slightly tricky to keep a bottle stabilized on this device. However, as it also has many glowing reviews, we think it’s a case of practice makes perfect…
- Comes with Electric Heating Tool
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- Does not include safety gear
The HPST glass bottle cutter is another impressive tool for cutting all kinds of glass bottles and jars. It is a bestselling choice in glass-cutting tools. Recycle those old bottles and create eye-catching glass art with this efficient tool.
- It is light, portable but solid.
- The product includes adjustable features for the various sizes of bottles that you need to cut.
- It can be used at home and in the office.
- The tool includes 5 support wheels created specifically to better stabilize the bottle to increase cutting precision.
- It comes as a set with other accessories and even a complimentary e-book to get you started on your glass art journey.
It is a satisfactory product and is a great choice for ridding the ecosystem of old glass.
- High quality
Creating your own wine decor from empty bottles is fun, original, and a great way to recycle. We’d, therefore, recommend a quality wine glass cutter to all ‘DIY & Wine’ enthusiasts.
Our favorite option is the Silicraft Glass Bottle Cutter Bundle. Not only do you receive a quality cutter and all the parts for stabilizing bottles during the process, but you’ll also receive safety eye-glasses and gloves.
Because even though these devices make glass cutting easy and simple, bottles might still glass, shatter, or splinter. Meaning that protecting yourself is key before starting your DIY adventures!
That’s a wrap!
We hope you found a wine bottle cover that suits your DIY needs.
Thanks for reading!