Choosing the right wine glass is especially important if you love red wines.
Glasses designed for reds tend to have larger bowls to give the wine a larger surface area, allowing for more oxidation and evaporation. This helps temper the tannins and smooth out the bitterness of the wine.
The shape of the bowl also collects aromas while keeping the surface of the wine further from your nose. This lets you enjoy all the floral fruity notes with less alcohol smell. Winemakers and glassmakers have further refined the shapes, in some cases enhancing the tastes of specific styles. Whether you taste the difference or not, you’ll love the various styles and shapes of this stemware.
The best red wine glasses appeal to all your senses.
1. Libbey Vina Red Wine Glasses, Set of 6
This red wine glass set from Libbey is a steal at $25. We love the roundness of the bowl and Libbey is well-known for their durable glassware. These are wonderful for everyday use and are one of the few sets of wine glasses we’re not afraid to put through the dishwasher. In the rare case you break one, they’re inexpensive to replace. They’re lead-free with 18.25 oz bowls.
2. RÖD Red Wine Glasses, Set of 3
- When it comes to red wine glasses SIZE DOES MATTER since the larger bowl allows for better aeration of the wine while still containing all the lovely flavours inside. At 22 oz., our glasses are...
These glasses from Röd are higher capacity than the Libbey glasses, with 22 oz bowls.
The bowl is quite round, though slightly elongated at the top. We love the durability of these titanium crystal glasses, making them another set we’re confident to put in the dishwasher.
3. Wine Enthusiast Fusion Infinity Cabernet/Merlot Wine Glasses, Set of 4
- World's most break-resistant wine glasses
This glass has the perfect shape for tempering the tannins in Cabernets and Merlots. It gives the wine plenty of surface area to breathe and the wide opening adds smoothness. The bowl is longer, as well, to increase the distance between your nose and the wine.
We especially love the straight edges along the sides of this glass, which gives it an interesting silhouette. It’s made of European crystal fused with magnesium for durability.
We also love that it comes with a 10-year warranty, which includes free replacement if you happen to break it.
4. KROSNO Vera Red Wine Glasses, Set of 6
- Set of 6 modern red wine glasses with striking angular profile and spacious 16-oz. bowl
If you like the straight edges on the Wine Enthusiast glasses above, but prefer a softer angle near the base of the bowl, this set from KROSNO will be perfect for you.
KROSNO is a European glassworks company that has been around since the 1920s. They create their glassware using a combination of traditional and modern techniques, all to create beautiful, striking profiles.
These Vera Wine glasses have a gorgeous 16 oz bowl, pulled stem, and shaped foot.
5. Riedel Heart to Heart Crystal Pinot Noir Wine Glass, Set of 2
Riedel makes some of the finest stemware on the market, including sets of varietal specific glasses.
They produced this Heart to Heart set with Pinot Noir in mind, but the large 27-1/8 oz bowl will enhance any lighter red wines.
The roundness of the bowl and small opening are perfect for collecting subtle aromas and delivering them to your nose as you sip. These glasses are beautiful and perfectly balanced in every way.
6. Riedel New World Pinot Noir Glass, Set of 2
- The unadorned machine-made new world Pinot Noir, Nebbiolo and rosé champagne glass of the light-weight glass collection Riedel Veritas impresses with its delicate shape and excels through its focus...
This is another gorgeous Pinot Noir glass from Riedel.
They’re made of fine crystal with the excellent craftsmanship we’ve come to expect from Riedel.
Their silhouette is also eye-catching. The 27-7/8 oz bowl flares at the opening to give it an even more interesting profile than a standard red wine glass.
If you pull these out at a party or wine tasting, people are bound to ask where you bought them.
7. Riedel Ouverture Red Wine Glasses, Set of 2
- The wine-friendly machine-made red wine glass of the glass collection Ouverture is ideal for everyday use
The Ouverture series are Riedel’s answer to the standard wine glass.
They offer a simple, classic profile suited to almost any red wine and are incredibly affordable.
These glasses are a pleasure to drink from, as well. They’re fairly small, with bowls just under 12 oz, but we love these as starter wine glasses for those not quite ready to invest in varietal specific glasses.
8. Riedel O Wine Tumbler Cabernet/Merlot, Set of 4
- This set contains 4 pieces O Wine Tumbler Cabernet/Merlot
As much as we love the classic profile of a stemmed wine glass, not every occasion requires such formality.
Stemless wine glasses are excellent for more casual parties and picnics, particularly for red wines.
These tumblers from Riedel are marvelous for everyday use. They have 21-1/8 oz bowls and fit so comfortably in the hand that we find it hard to resist swirling them. Although this particular set is most ideal for Cabernets and Merlots, we admit we also use them for casual drinking of other reds.
9. Riedel Swirl Red Wine Glasses, Set of 2
- The machine-made red wine glass of the slip-proof glass collection Swirl is reasonably priced and ideal for everyday use
Looking for a stemless wine glass with an interesting profile? These Riedel Swirl wine glasses have a subtle wave along the edge of the bowl.
This lets them fit even more comfortably in your hand and gives an extra bit of aeration with every swirl.
We love this unique silhouette and the craftsmanship is beautiful, just as we expect from Riedel. The bowl is 20-1/2 oz, made from crystal glass.
Looking to expand your sparkling wine flute collection? We’ve got you covered!